This article describes system requirements for the Datto Cloud Continuity for PCs Agent.
- Datto Cloud Continuity for PCs
- Windows 10
- Windows 7
- System requirements
- Secondary replication
- Frequently asked questions
- Next steps
- Additional Resources
|Disk space requirements||
|Anti-virus exceptions||Create exceptions for Datto Cloud Continuity Service and the DattoProvider service.|
For the latest Cloud Continuity Agent version information, see Cloud Continuity for PCs: Release Notes. You can check your protected machine's installed version from the agent tray icon. The Cloud Continuity Agent's latest release is always available at download.datto.com.
The Cloud Continuity Agent lets you back up protected Windows 10, and Windows 7 systems' OS drives directly to the Datto Cloud without using a SIRIS, ALTO, or NAS appliance.
Datto designed Cloud Continuity to be mobile and agile. If your protected machine loses connectivity to the Internet or shuts down in the middle of a backup, Cloud Continuity's intelligent agent software will resume the backup where it left off when the system restarts or reconnects.
File restore, virtualization, Rapid Rollback, and Bare Metal Restore are available with the Cloud Continuity Agent. You can restore from any snapshot.
- The Cloud Continuity Agent can only back up hard drives that are physically attached to the protected machine. The Cloud Continuity Agent cannot back up mapped drives.
- Cloud Continuity is not for installation or use on systems already protected by the ShadowSnap Agent or the Datto Windows Agent. If your protected endpoint currently uses one of these backup solutions, do not switch to the Cloud Continuity Agent.
- You do not need to reboot the protected system to start a backup, but snapshotting will not begin until the system reboots.
- GDPR Compliance Notice: During the agent registration process, you will have the option to select either the United States, Canada, or the United Kingdom to host your offsite data. Additional regional data centers will be available in future releases.
Datto enables secondary replication of all Cloud Continuity data by default. Secondary replication includes the following features:
- Datto encrypts all Cloud Continuity data at rest with the same high-quality encryption that we use for our BCDR cloud storage nodes.
- Datto encrypts Cloud Continuity data in transit using TLS.
- Datto does full secondary replication, not just the last 90 days.
- Secondary replication of Cloud Continuity data is automatic. You cannot disable this feature.
Secondary replication data resides in the following locations:
- Datto stores data that originates in the USA on servers in the USA.
- Datto stores data that originates in Canada on servers in Canada.
- Datto stores data that originates in the UK and Germany on servers in Iceland.
You can download the Cloud Continuity agent from http://dat.to/cloudcontinuity.
- Before installing the Cloud Continuity Agent, verify that no other backup software is present on the protected machine and that any VSS providers left behind by the prior installation of backup software are no longer present. Ensure that the target machine is in good health. It is critical to run a virus scan, disk defragmentation, and a disk health check (chkdsk /r) on the system before installation. Be sure to remove Microsoft Volume ShadowCopies as well.
- The agent software will install the Datto Cloud Continuity Service and the DattoProvider service on the protected machine during this process.
- Datto recommends reviewing the Encryption Compatibility With The Datto Solution Knowledge Base article when deploying the agent to encrypted machines.
To learn how to deploy, register, or uninstall the Cloud Continuity for PCs Agent, see our Cloud Continuity for PCs: Installing and Registering the Cloud Continuity Agent article.
Frequently asked questions
Can I back up my machine with both a SIRIS and the Cloud Continuity Agent at the same time?
No. You can only use one type of backup solution at a time. Attempting to protect your machine with more than one kind of solution simultaneously can cause conflicts and backup failures.
What is the retention policy for my Cloud Continuity offsite backups?
We currently offer 1-year Time-Based Retention (TBR). Under the time-based retention model, your Cloud Continuity agents will:
- keep all intra-daily backups for seven days
- after that, keep daily backups for the next week
- after that, keep weekly backups for the next month
- keep the remaining backups for one year
To learn more about retention, see our Understanding the Retention Process article. For further information about Time-Based Retention (TBR), including pricing details, contact your Datto Sales Executive.
Are RoundTrips available for Cloud Continuity products?
Unlike Datto BCDR products, RoundTrips and Reverse RoundTrips are not available for Cloud Continuity.
Can I delete individual backups?
Yes, with the assistance of Datto Technical Support. See Cloud Continuity: Deleting Individual Backups for more information.
Can I set a custom backup schedule for my Cloud Continuity backups?
The Cloud Continuity Agent backs up your protected endpoint once every two hours. The schedule is not customizable.
Can I configure Advanced Backup Verification (including Screenshot Verification) for the Cloud Continuity Agent, and view the results?
Cloud Continuity backups cannot perform Advanced Backup Verification tasks at this time, but basic screenshot verification is available. See Cloud Continuity: Screenshot Verification Overview for more information.
Can I configure the Cloud Continuity Agent to alert me when a backup has failed?
To learn more about the Cloud Continuity installation on your protected system and how to interact with your cloud-based backups, see the following articles: