This article provides system requirements, compatibility, and installation guidance for the Datto Cloud Continuity for PCs agent.
- Datto Cloud Continuity for PCs
- Windows 10
- Windows 7
- System Requirements
- Next Steps
The current version of the Cloud Continuity Agent is 126.96.36.199. You can check your protected machine's installed version from the agent tray icon. The Cloud Continuity Agent's latest release is always available at download.datto.com. See the Cloud Continuity Agent Release Notes article for detailed release information.
The Cloud Continuity Agent allows an operator to back up the operating system drive of protected Windows 10 and Windows 7 systems directly to the Datto Cloud without the need of a SIRIS, ALTO, or NAS appliance. Cloud Continuity is designed to be mobile and agile. If your protected machine loses connectivity to the Internet or shuts down in the middle of a backup, Cloud Continuity's intelligent agent software will resume the backup where it left off when the system restarts or reconnects.
- File restore, virtualization, Rapid Rollback, Bare Metal Restore are available with the Cloud Continuity Agent. You can restore from any snapshot.
- Windows 10 (all 64-bit versions)
- Windows 7 (all 64-bit versions)
- Other operating systems are not supported
- At least 1 GB of RAM free on the production machine for installation and backups to run
- The Cloud Continuity Agent is only capable of backing the protected system's Operating System (OS) volume. The OS volume must be 1 TB or less in size. No other drives can be backed up.
- A minimum of 1 GB of free space must be available on the protected volume at all times for continued Cloud Continuity functionality.
Port 443 on the protected machine must be open outbound.
Additionally, port 993, 80, or 587 on the protected machine must be open outbound. Only one of these three ports is necessary; the agent will try all three when attempting to connect to the cloud storage node.
- The agent will use a TLS-based proprietary protocol for communication over the first port that it can reach.
- The Cloud Continuity Agent's installer will attempt to create an outbound firewall exception for outbound traffic on ports 443, 993, 80 and 587 for the agent's executable (%SYSTEMROOT%\Program Files\Datto\Datto Cloud Continuity\DattoCloudContinuityInstaller.exe).
- Cloud Continuity is not for installation or use on systems already protected by the ShadowSnap Agent or the Datto Windows Agent. If your protected endpoint currently uses one of these backup solutions, do not switch to the Cloud Continuity Agent.
- Reboots are not required to start a backup, but snapshots will not be available until after the protected system reboots.
- GDPR Compliance Notice: During the agent registration process, you will have the option to select either the United States, Canada, or the United Kingdom to host your offsite data. Additional regional datacenters will be available in future releases.
- Before installing the Cloud Continuity Agent, verify that no other backup software is present on the protected machine and that any VSS providers left behind by the prior installation of backup software are no longer present. Ensure that the target machine is in good health. It is critical to run a virus scan, disk defragmentation, and a disk health check (chkdsk /r) on the system before installation.
- Datto recommends reviewing the Encryption Compatibility With The Datto Solution Knowledge Base article when deploying the agent to encrypted machines.
- Connectivity of the protected machine to the Internet is required when installing the agent, during initial agent pairing, and at all times during the backup process.
- The agent software will install the Datto Cloud Continuity Service and the DattoProvider service on the protected machine during this process. Ensure continuity of backups by allowing these processes to run as an administrator. Create exceptions for them in the local antivirus service.
- Only hard drives physically attached to the protected machine can be backed up. The Cloud Continuity Agent cannot back up mapped drives.
You can download the Cloud Continuity agent from http://dat.to/cloudcontinuity.
Follow these steps to install the Cloud Continuity Agent. A reboot of the protected system is required to complete this process.
1. Download and install the DattoCloudContinuityInstaller.exe and launch it. You will see an installation window similar to Figure 1.
Figure 1: Datto Cloud Continuity Setup
2. Review the Datto Cloud Continuity Terms document.
3. If you agree to the terms, check the I agree to the license terms and conditions box and then click Install to continue.
4.. The Cloud Continuity installer will run.
If you are prompted to install the Datto Storage volume shadow copies, as shown in Figure 2, click Install. The Datto Storage service allows the Cloud Continuity Agent to perform snapshots of your protected system.
Figure 2: Datto Storage volume shadow copies installation prompt
5. Once the installation completes, you will see the confirmation screen shown in Figure 3. Proceed to the Registration section of this article to continue.
Figure 3: Installation Successfully Completed
Use the Windows Programs and Features panel to run the Cloud Continuity Agent's built-in uninstaller. Uninstalling via this method allows you to reinstall the agent and resume backups for it in the future if you choose to do so.
If you wish to remove the Cloud Continuity Agent from your protected system altogether, without the possibility of resuming the existing backup chain at a later date, run the built-in uninstaller, and then manually remove the following directory from the protected machine:
%windir%\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\Datto\Datto Cloud Continuity
Note that this method of uninstalling is irreversible. If you choose to back up the same protected device with the Cloud Continuity solution in the future, you will be unable to continue the existing backup chain, and a new backup chain will generate.
1. A web browser window will open and navigate you to the Datto Partner Portal. Log in using your partner username and password.
If you do not see the window, or if you rebooted before beginning the registration process, click the agent tray icon and select Open Cloud Continuity registration page to auto-fill the form, as shown in Figure 4.
2. After logging in to the portal, you will see the Register Cloud Continuity Agent window. Perform the following steps to register the protected system and link it to a specific client:
- Select or Create Client: Associate the new agent with an existing client from your Partner Portal account or create a new client.
- Enter Agent ID: Also known as the 'agent shortcode,' this value is the unique key identifier for the cloud backups of the protected host. Make a note of this key. You will be asked to provide it if you contact Support, or if you need to register a machine to your partner account manually.
- Select Datacenter: Select the offsite storage facility where you would like your cloud backups to be stored. Currently, only the United States, Canada, and the United Kingdom are selectable regions. If you have compliance questions about these data centers, contact your Datto Sales Executive.
- Select Subscription Type: Select the type of subscription license you'd like the agent to use.
3. When you are finished making configuration changes, click Register.
4. Reboot the protected system to start taking backups.
Can I back up my machine with both a SIRIS and the Cloud Continuity Agent at the same time?
No. You can only use one type of backup solution at a time. Attempting to protect your machine with more than one kind of solution simultaneously can cause conflicts and backup failures.
What is the retention policy for my Cloud Continuity offsite backups?
We currently offer 1-year Time-Based Retention (TBR). Under the time-based retention model, your Cloud Continuity agents will:
- Keep all intra-daily backups for 7 days
- After that, keep daily backups for the next 1 week
- After that, keep weekly backups for the next 1 month
- Keep the remaining backups for 1 year
To learn more about retention, see our Understanding the Retention Process article. For further information about Time-Based Retention (TBR), including pricing details, contact your Datto Sales Executive.
Are RoundTrips available for Cloud Continuity products?
Unlike Datto BCDR products, RoundTrips and Reverse RoundTrips are not available for Cloud Continuity.
Can I delete individual backups?
Yes; with the assistance of Datto Technical Support. See Cloud Continuity: Deleting Individual Backups for more information.
Can I set a custom backup schedule for my Cloud Continuity backups?
The Cloud Continuity Agent is configured to back up your protected endpoint once every two hours. The schedule is not customizable.
Can I configure Advanced Backup Verification (including Screenshot Verification) for the Cloud Continuity Agent, and view the results?
Cloud Continuity backups are not capable of performing Advanced Backup Verification tasks at this time, but basic screenshot verification is available. See Cloud Continuity: Screenshot Verification Overview for more information.
Can I configure the Cloud Continuity Agent to alert me when a backup has failed?
To learn more about the Cloud Continuity installation on your protected system and how to interact with your cloud-based backups, see the following articles: