Android devices are not redirected to the captive portal when the user gets connected to the WiFi network.
- Datto Access Points
- Android Devices
The captive portal is not redirecting the user to the splash page.
How Android determines if it has an internet connection:
Android devices send a request to a page called generate_204 hosted on the following sites:
If the redirect is not properly set up, a blank page will display instead of the splash page, and the user will be unable to authenticate for internet access.
Verifying an Internet connection on Android devices
1. On your Android device, disconnect from your current internet session.
2. Connect to your WiFi network.
3. Open an incognito or private session in a web browser such as Google Chrome.
4. Navigate to http://clients3.google.com/.
Resolving the issue
Ensure that your Datto captive portal configuration blocks access to Google and other external sites:
1. Navigate to a device web session for your access point.
2. Click the Configure drop-down and choose the SSID hosting your captive portal.
3. Make sure Splash Pages is toggled on, then click Verify Walled Garden Settings.
4. Add the following Google-associated addresses to the walled garden list to ensure these sites are accessible to unauthenticated users:
5. Toggle Block Unauthenticated Users on to block port access to external websites for any user who has not authenticated through the Captive Portal.