Android devices are not redirected to the captive portal when the user gets connected to WiFi network.
- Datto Access Points
- Android Devices
How Android determines if it has an Internet connection:
- Android devices send a request to a page called generate_204 hosted on the following sites:
- If a blank page displays, the device has immediate access to the Internet. This is undesired behavior if a captive portal is configured in a network, it should block connection to any external site, and prompt the user to navigate through the captive portal.
Verifying an Internet connection on Android devices
- Disconnect from your existing Internet session from your Android device.
- Connect to your WiFi network.
- Open an incognito or private session in a web browser such as Google Chrome
- Navigate to http://clients3.google.com/.
- If a blank page appears, then this device is immediately accessible to the Internet without authenticating through the captive portal or splash page.
Ensure that your Datto captive portal configuration blocks access to Google and other external sites:
1. Navigate to a device web session for your access point.
2. Click the Configure drop-down and choose the SSID hosting your Captive Portal.
3. Review the following captive portal settings. Splash Pages must be toggled on for these to appear:
- Verify Walled Garden Settings: Add *google.com and any Google associated IP addresses to ensure these sites are inaccessible to unauthenticated users.
- Block Unauthenticated Users: Toggle this on to block all port access to external websites for any user that has not authenticated through the Captive Portal.