This article describe the procedure for performing a device migration. Before beginning this process, review the Device Migration: Getting Started article for important pre-deployment considerations and instructions.
- Datto SIRIS
- Datto ALTO
- Datto NAS
If the source device has NAS shares, Datto recommends changing the hostname and IP address of the source device immediately before performing the migration to prevent users from continuing to write data to the source appliance during or after the migration. Reboot the source device to apply the changes.
Legacy NAS shares cannot be migrated by the Device Migration wizard. You must migrate these shares manually. See the Legacy NAS shares section of the article Device Migration: Getting Started article for more information.
1. Ensure that both the source device (the device you are migrating from) and the destination device (the device you are migrating to) are on the same LAN.
2. If the source Datto appliance has active NAS shares, change its hostname and IP address to prevent users from continuing to write data to the shares during the migration. Make note of the new IP address and hostname, and reboot the source device to apply the changes.
3. If you expect to be migrating more than 2 TB of data, manually pause backups and offsite synchronization for all agents and shares on the source and destination devices from the following locations in the appliance GUI:
- Protect → Configure Agent Settings → Pause Backups → Paused → Apply to All
- Fileshare → Configure Share Settings → Pause Backups → Paused → Apply to All
- Configure → Device Settings → Off-site Sync → Duration → Indefinitely → Apply Delay
4. In the Datto appliance GUI, navigate to Advanced → Advanced Device Status. From the Advanced Device Status page, in the Device Migration category, click Perform Migration.
5. The Migration Assistant will appear. Select your source device from the list of available appliances, and click Next.
6. After selecting the source device, you will be prompted for a username and password. Enter the credentials of an administrator-level user account authorized to access the source device. Then, click Next.
7. Review and confirm your selections. When you are ready to begin the migration, click Finish.
8. The migration will begin, and you will be returned to the Advanced Device Status page on the destination device. While the migration is running, backups, screenshots, and offsite synchronization will pause on the source and the destination devices. The destination device will also display the "A migration is in progress" banner.
9. When the migration completes, the message "A migration has completed successfully" will appear as a green banner in the destination device's GUI. The Status field of the Device Migration card on the Advanced Device Status page will also display the outcome of the migration.
10. On the source device, all agents that were migrated will be archived. You will still be able to see the agents from its Device Overview page, but you will no longer be able to manage them. Datto recommends following the Re-Purposing or Decommissioning a Datto Appliance procedure to clear the source device of its data.
12. If you manually paused backups and offsite synchronization, unpause them for each agent from the GUI on the destination device:
- Protect → Configure Agent Settings → Pause Backups → Enabled → Apply to All
- Fileshare → Configure Share Settings → Pause Backups → Enabled → Apply to All
- Configure → Device Settings → Off-site Sync → Resume
13. Remember, if you previously configured any of the following options on the source device, you will need to configure them again on the destination device:
14. Power off the source device and remove it from the network environment.
15. If you do not intend to re-deploy the source device, contact your Datto Sales Executive to have its service cancelled.