How do I set up two-factor authentication for my end users?
- Two-factor authentication
- Datto Partner Portal
As the administrator, you can enable two-factor authentication for end users at your clients' sites. Two-factor authentication requires that each of your clients with permission to access your firm's Partner Portal account have an associated mobile phone number. Employees authenticate via their phones.
To start using two-factor authentication, both the end user and the administrator must take action:
End Users: Each end user should download and set up the Authy app on the mobile device associated with their phone number. Authy is available for free for Windows, iOS, and Android.
Admin: Each client profile must have a mobile phone number on record. To edit a client's profile:
1. In the Partner Portal, click Admin and select Manage Clients from the drop-down menu.
2. On the Manage Clients page, edit each employee's profile to include their mobile phone number.
When logging into the Partner Portal, clients will be prompted to enter an authentication key.
At this point, the end user must authenticate via ANY ONE of the following options:
- Authy OneTouch. Entering credentials into the Partner Portal triggers an alert in the Authy app on the tech's mobile device. Swiping the alert completes the authentication.
- Request the portal to send an SMS token to the relevant phone number. Enter the key in the Token or Security Key field, then click Sign In to complete the authentication.
If you lose your phone, you can continue accessing your Partner Portal account after performing a 2-factor authentication reset or resetting your phone number once you have a new one.
- If you have the same phone number as before, you only have to reinstall the Authy app to regain access.
- If your phone number has changed, go to https://www.authy.com/phones/change to reset your number. Click the I don’t have access to my phone button at the bottom of the screen to get started. Once submitted, the process can take up to 72 hours to complete.
- Consider installing Authy on multiple devices that use the same phone number (e.g., iPhone and iPad).