This article describes how to configure a VPN server and client for a Datto router.
- Datto Routers
You can create and configure a VPN server on a Datto router to ensure connected users behave as if they were on the same LAN as the router.
1. Navigate to a device web session for your router.
2. Click the Manage drop-down, then click Routers.
3. Choose the router you wish to configure.
4. Click VPN.
5. In the Router VPN Settings page, click VPN Server.
To configure the VPN server, follow these steps:
1. Select the Enable checkbox.
2. Enter the Network Address that will act as the default gateway of the network.
3. Enter the Subnet Mask of your internal network.
After you've entered a Network Address and Subnet Mask, a Subnet Range will display.
4. Select the Enable Primary LAN Access checkbox to allow connected users to communicate with other machines on the router's primary LAN.
Adding VPN Users
After configuring the VPN server, you will need to add the users that will connect to the server. To add users, follow the steps below:
1. Enter the user's Name, as shown in Figure 4. You can enter any name as you'd like.
2. Enter a Certificate Name, as shown in Figure 4. You can enter any name as you'd like. This will display on the user's VPN client after configuration. Consult the VPN client's documentation on where this would display.
3. Click Add to add the user, as shown in Figure 4. Click Remove to remove an existing user.
4. Download the user credentials and distribute them to each user.
Users attempting to connect the router's VPN server will need to configure a VPN client. The following example below uses OpenVPN as the VPN client, and Microsoft Windows for the user's operating system.
1. Download and install the OpenVPN client (external link).
2. Extract the contents of the User Credentials file obtained in Adding VPN Users into either %systemdrive%\Users\%USERPROFILE%\OpenVPN\config (if VPN access should be available to only the current user profile), or to %systemdrive%\Program Files\OpenVPN\config (if VPN access should be available to all users).
3. Launch OpenVPN, and click Connect.