This article explains how to set up two-factor authentication for Datto SaaS Protection users, Partner Portal users, and Backupify Direct users.
- Datto Partner Portal
- Datto SaaS Protection
To access your account, you will need to set up two-factor authentication (2FA) with your application. If you haven't already done so, the Partner Portal or the Backupify login page will prompt you to enable two-factor authentication at your next login.
- Why two-factor authentication?
- Enable two-factor authentication
- Download and install the Authy app
- Changing your information
- Enabling 2FA for all users
Why two-factor authentication?
To learn more about two-factor authentication, see What is two-factor authentication (2FA)? (external link).
Conventional password protection offers a single layer of security. Passwords are vulnerable to divulgence through human error and defeat through increasingly sophisticated forms of automated attack.
Two-factor authentication provides additional security. After entering your password, the authentication software contacts you via trusted means, such as your mobile phone number, and requests additional verification. This extra protection dramatically reduces the success rate for malicious access attempts.
Enable two-factor authentication
1. Navigate to your Partner Portal or Backupify login page, enter your account credentials, then click the LOG IN button.
- For Datto partners, including SaaS Protection users, navigate to the Partner Portal login page.
- For Backupify Direct users, navigate to the Backupify login page.
2. Enter your country code and mobile phone number, then click the Enable 2FA button.
If you enter a phone number and Datto detects that it may be a non-mobile number, you will see the same prompt as shown in Figure 2. The dialog box, however, will contain additional instructions about how you can set up the Authy application (Figure 3).
See How Do I Change My User Settings in the Datto Partner Portal to learn more about viewing employee enrollment status once 2FA is enabled for all users.
3. After enabling 2FA from the previous step, you will receive a verification code via text message or phone call (depending on whether you entered a mobile phone or landline number). Enter the code in the 2FA Verification window and click the Submit button.
If you need to re-send the token, choose SMS or Phone Call to receive a new token via text message or over the telephone.
Once you submit the verification code, 2FA activation is complete.
Download and install the Authy app
Datto recommends the Authy 2FA app (external link) for logging into the Datto Partner Portal with two-factor authentication. You can download the following versions:
- Mobile app: You can authenticate via your mobile phone via push notification or token. You will only be able to authenticate via mobile if you provided a cell phone number.
- Desktop app: This app lets you authenticate via desktop app push notification or token. You can use the desktop app if you use either your desk phone or mobile phone.
- Chrome extension: The Chrome extension lets you authenticate from the Google Chrome browser via push notification or token. You can use the desktop app if you use either your desk phone or mobile phone.
Datto also lets you authenticate with your preferred third-party 2FA solution if necessary. Consult your application's setup guide for configuration instructions if you choose to leverage a solution not described in this article.
Changing your information
You can change employee names or phone numbers used for 2FA with partner accounts from the Partner Portal user settings page.
Enabling 2FA for all users
Partner Portal Admins can require 2FA for all Portal users in their company.
1. In the Datto Partner Portal, click your username in the top right-hand corner, then select Company Settings from the drop-down menu.
2. In the Authentication Settings card, click Enable to activate 2FA for all of your company's Portal users. After enabling, users who have not set up 2FA will see a prompt to do so the next time they log in.
Logging in on trusted networks
If you log in from an IP address that your Partner Portal admin has whitelisted as a trusted network, you will only receive the authentication prompt every three weeks instead of being prompted on each login.
- What is two-factor authentication? (external link)
- How do I set up an external authenticator app in the Datto Partner Portal?
- How do I use the Authy Mobile app to log into the Datto Partner Portal?
- How do I use the Authy Desktop app to log into the Datto Partner Portal?
- How Do I log into the Datto Partner Portal by using the Authy Chrome extension?
- How Do I edit my employees’ phone numbers in the Partner Portal for two-factor authentication?
- How do I change my user settings in the Datto Partner Portal?
- Datto Partner Portal: Organization settings