Which SFP module should I use with my Datto Switch?
- Datto Switches
Consumer network fiber optic cable comes in two main varieties:
- Multi-mode fiber
- Used for relatively short distances, less than 550 meters
- Orange color-coded cable
- Use the SX version of SFP (SX stands for Short-Haul)
- Multi-mode fiber costs less than single-mode fiber
- Single-mode fiber
- Used for relatively long distances up to 10 kilometers
- Yellow color-coded cable
- Use the LX version of SFP (LX stands for Long-Haul)
- Single-mode fiber is more future proof than multi-mode fiber
If your switch does not show a link light when your fiber install is complete, try reversing the polarity (cross-over) of one side of your fiber connection. This will make sure that the TX/RX of each side is staggered. All Fiber SFPs use the "LC" type fiber connection.