Getting Started With Datto Network Manager (Part 1)
- Datto Networking
This article describes how to create networks in Datto Network Manager.
Overview: what we’re doing
This guide is intended to help you set up your first cloud-managed wireless mesh network with CloudTrax. CloudTrax is a free cloud-based network controller that makes it easy for anyone to build, manage, and monitor wireless networks from anywhere in the world.
This guide will assist you in setting up a new network on the CloudTrax web application. For easier, faster setup, use the CloudTrax for iOS or CloudTrax for Android apps. No matter which version you start with, you can switch between the web and mobile apps seamlessly.
Here’s what’s about to happen:
- We’ll create a master login on CloudTrax.com that will allow you to build, manage and monitor multiple networks in one place.
- We’ll create a new network on CloudTrax.
- We’ll add access points to the network.
- We’ll physically install the access points.
- We’ll do some basic network configuration.
This guide is not intended to cover every aspect of CloudTrax. To learn more about planning your network, view the Cloudtrax Network Planning Guide.
What you’ll need
To set up your network, you’ll need the following:
- One or more CloudTrax-compatible wireless devices, such as the OM2P or MR1750.
- An Internet connection with at least one Ethernet port available on your modem or router, and one Ethernet cable.
- A computer with a browser pointed to www.cloudtrax.com, or an iOS or Android device running the CloudTrax app.
We’ll make this process as easy and nontechnical as possible. Here are a few key words that will help.
Network: A group of computers or devices that can talk to each other (in our case, wirelessly).
Gateway: A CloudTrax-compatible router that is connected to the Internet (usually through a DSL, cable, or LAN connection).
Repeater: A CloudTrax-compatible router that is not connected to the Internet that repeats the signals from local computers and other access points to the gateway.
Access point: A generic name for an CloudTrax-compatible router/access point which can be either a Gateway or a Repeater. You may also see these called "Nodes."
All CloudTrax devices configure themselves: they become gateways or repeaters depending on if they are connected to the Internet or not.