This article lists the new features in access point firmware versions 5xx.
- Datto Access Points
5xx firmware is now available in wide release. It currently ships on the MR900, OM5P, and OM5P-AN. OM2P and OM2P-HS access points can be upgraded over the air through CloudTrax.
The option to upgrade eligible networks to 5xx firmware is available in CloudTrax under Edit Network > Advanced > Firmware/Upgrade.
This is a significant improvement to CloudTrax. It's at once familiar but completely new under the hood, with significant new features and better functionality.
Here's a peek at what we've changed since 4xx.
Improved client reporting and bandwidth insight
We've made it easier to monitor and manage users on your network.
Layer 7 Deep Packet Inspection
We've identified more than 130 (so far) of the top sites and protocols so you can see how your bandwidth is being used. See it in a pie chart or view all data by clicking the "More" link to display it in table form.
Live, Dynamic Traffic and User Graph
Clicking on the pie chart sections will highlight that site or protocol usage in the top usage graph.
Similarly, clicking on a specific clients will show that usage in the top graph.
See devices on your network from an operating system perspective.
Custom client list reporting period
The clients list will show traffic for the period and SSID selected. Previously, this was hard-coded to always show only the last 24 hours. Options are 2 hours, 1 day, 1 week, and 1 month. Now supports user tracking on SSID #2.
Facebook Wi-Fi Integration
Use Facebook Wi-Fi to authenticate customers by having them check in on Facebook and use the web for free. Facebook Wi-Fi is free to use and available on SSID #1. Learn more.
- Fewer pop-ups. More is done in dynamic pages or tabs rather than secondary windows. Examples include Clients table, More table for Layer 7 traffic.
- On-demand graphs. Individual client usage graphs are now drawn on demand to speed up the page. The client list can now be paged to further improve speed.
- Better sorting. Sorting on tables throughout the site is improved.
- Reports wired clients. Previously they were not included.
- Faster repeater discovery. Access points can find each other more quickly over mesh due to improved scanning. Now includes multi-band mesh encryption support.
- Better speed test. Greatly improved repeater-to-gateway speed test is much faster and can handle higher speeds.
- Improved captive portal. Now runs on all access points (APs), not just gateways to avoid gateway congestion.
- Improved AP isolation. Now works on multi-cast traffic.
- Live reports. On login, all access points are told to update CloudTrax immediately so reports are up to the moment.
- Instant changes. When dashboard changes are made, they are sent to the nodes immediately. You no longer have to wait up to five minutes.
- Multiple network map overlays. Improved node placement/sizing with support for multiple network map overlays for multi-story or campus installations.
- Wide channels. You can now use wide channels on either 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz.
How to upgrade
The option to upgrade a network to 5xx firmware is available for eligible networks in CloudTrax under Edit Network > Advanced > Firmware/Upgrade.
IMPORTANT: Our check-in servers have changed with 5xx firmware, so if you're using a firewall/filter you'll want to allow access to these new addresses or else your devices will stop checking into CloudTrax and revert to a default config.
5xx firmware will not run on pre-OM2P series devices such as the MR500 or OM1P, and does not support CoovaChilli. However, 5xx firmware combined with CloudTrax 4 supports a CoovaChilli replacement that should be compatible with most services that used CoovaChilli in the past. CloudTrax will alert you if your network has any of these issues.
More details about our latest 5xx firmware release can be found in our change-log available here.
We'd love to hear what you think. Comment on the article below or send feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org.