This article describes the Datto Partner Portal's multi-account login feature.
- Datto Partner Portal
The Datto Partner Portal's login experience is email-based instead of username-based, letting you log into multiple account types with a single Datto Partner Portal username.
There are two types of accounts:
- Datto Partner Portal account: The company account in its entirety, which includes all the users within that account
- User account: The account associated with a single user and their permissions based on the role given
When working with Multi-Account login, use the following guidelines:
- Every user should have a unique email address and phone number associated with their account
- Avoid shared accounts. If multiple users share the same email address in your Portal Account, create new users with individual account information
- We encourage users with more than one portal account to use the same email address so that they can take advantage of the account selection page
As a best practice, users should have a unique email address for their accounts. We encourage Admins to update the current shared email address so that every user has an individual email address for their accounts. It is perfectly okay to have the same email used for more than one user account if the same person accesses them. For example:
Under a multi-account login model, the user shown in Figure 2, email@example.com, can access the Admin and Tech accounts (pjaws and pjaws2) which are under the same portal account.
The system will determine if an email address is in use more than once. If it is, the user will have the ability to select their user accounts and add a new email address that is unique to them.
See the Updating employee email addresses section below to learn how to update employee email addresses in the Partner Portal.
1. Navigate to the Datto Partner Portal and log in with your email address and password.
2. The first time you log into the new system, it will prompt you to synchronize your password and phone numbers across your accounts (if you don’t already use the same password or phone number for them).
If you do not wish to sync the current stored password and phone number at this time, click the No radio button. You can then choose a new password and phone number.
3. Partners can also have one Partner Portal Account with many user accounts sharing the same email address, which introduces issues with multi-account login:
On the first login, if we detect that there is more than one user account with the same email address, the user will have the ability to choose their username within the current Partner Portal account and update it to a new email address. By doing so, the user will be able to access their accounts by using one email address and password.
4. If you haven't done so already, set up Two-Factor Authentication (2FA) for your account when prompted, as shown in Figure 7.
5. When logging into your account, enter the 2FA token code when prompted.
6. If you own a single Datto account type, the Partner Portal will log you into your account. Otherwise, if you own multiple account types, the Partner Portal will prompt you to select an account, as shown in Figure 9. Once you choose an account, the portal will sign you in.
Choosing an account in the Datto Networking App
When logging into the portal via the Datto Networking App, tap the account you wish to access.
Switching between accounts
There are three ways to switch accounts after logging into the Partner Portal
- Press the back button in your browser until you return to the multi-account selection screen
- Log out of the Partner Portal, then log back in, choosing the new account
- click your email address at the top of the Partner Portal home screen and select Switch Account from the drop-down menu
Figure 11: Switching Accounts (click to enlarge)
Updating employee email addresses
Since the new login procedure is email-based, Datto Partner Portal admins may need to update employee email addresses to ensure they see all their accounts when logging in.
1. In the Datto Partner Portal, click the Admin tab, then select Manage Employees from the drop-down menu.
2. Click the pencil icon for the employee whose email address you wish to change.
3. In the Edit Employee window, edit the email in the Email field, then click the Save Changes button.