When attempting to protect a system with your Datto appliance, you see the error message, "BK029: Datto Linux Agent cannot pair to this device. A previous backup chain from another agent type exists for this system."
- Datto SIRIS
- Datto ALTO
- Datto Linux Agent
- You are attempting to pair a system protected by the Datto Linux Agent to a Datto appliance where a backup chain generated by another agent type already exists for the host.
Agent software is only compatible with backup chains created by its agent type. The Datto Windows Agent and the ShadowSnap agent cannot pair with different backup chains. To resolve this issue:
To continue the existing backup chain
1. Install the type of agent software on the protected machine which matches the agent software the generated the backup chain.
2. Repair agent communications for the protected system, and attempt a backup again.
To start a new backup chain
1. Archive the existing backup chain for the protected system.
2. Attempt to protect the system again.