This article describes common workflows for using the Transfer Purchase Orders option in Datto Autotask PSA to transfer data to QuickBooks Desktop.
- Datto Autotask PSA
- QuickBooks Desktop
To Transfer (Must be in Autotask with QuickBooks open)
- Go to Autotask Menu → Contracts → QuickBooks → Transfer Purchase Orders.
- Select the POs that you would like to transfer, and then click Transfer Selected/Update Status.
- Confirm that QuickBooks is open.
- Wait for transfer.
In QuickBooks - Received PO (recommended)
- Enter the PO into QuickBooks with all items marked as received
- The quantities on the PO add to the On Hand count
- The items in QuickBooks are each converted to an Item Receipt; each line on the PO will create an individual Item Receipt
In QuickBooks - Unreceived PO
- Enter the PO into QuickBooks as Unreceived
- Receive the items separately in Autotask and QuickBooks
- After receiving the items in Autotask, navigate to the Transfer PO page, and select Transfer/Update → Approve
- The Received status will transfer to QuickBooks, which increases your On Hand count by the quantity on the PO
In QuickBooks - Both statuses
After you have transferred the POs, and any quantity adjustments are in place for the items transferred as received, an Inventory Sync must run only for the items that are on the PO.
The total on-hand number in Autotask will always overwrite the on-hand number in QuickBooks. The count change happens via Inventory Adjustments.
Because Autotask has inventory locations and QuickBooks does not, it is the total Autotask on-hand number for all locations which syncs to QuickBooks.
Once a Purchase Order has been transferred, all updates will still need to come from Autotask. Make the changes, and use the Update feature. And changes made to the Purchase Orders in Quickbooks will not transfer back to Autotask and will cause errors when trying to use the Inventory Sync feature.
Settings in Autotask
In System Settings → Contracts, leave Decrement from Inventory when transferring invoices containing ticket/project/contract charges to QuickBooks enabled if you are not using the Autotask to QuickBooks Synchronize Inventory feature.
Even if you are not using the full inventory sync, every time you transfer a PO, there is inventory sync for those items. So this setting should be UNCHECKED
Decrementing Inventory different in the two systems
Autotask decrements the on-hand count when the item is delivered and shipped. QuickBooks will decrement when the item is invoiced (unless you transfer the invoice with that above setting unchecked).
On-hand QuickBooks = 5
On-hand Autotask = 1
PO creates in Autotask for 2 more
PO is received in Autotask
On-hand in Autotask raised to = 3
PO is Transferred
On Hand in QuickBooks is increased by the Received PO by 2
On Hand in QuickBooks = 7 (5+2=7)
On Hand in Autotask = 3
QuickBooks Item Receipt creates for a quantity of 2
INVENTORY FOR THE PRODUCT IS SYNCED
On Hand for QuickBooks is adjusted by -4 to match Autotask
On Hand Autotask = 3
On Hand QuickBooks = 3