This article describes the function of the API User security level in Autotask PSA.
- Autotask PSA
The API User security level provides full access level permissions to features and data. You cannot delete or edit the security level, but you can copy it.
You can edit these copies to create custom API User security levels controlling users' permitted tasks and data levels.
You can create up to 50 different security levels based on the user license type.
API Users can access your Autotask PSA data via the API-only; they cannot log in to the Autotask user interface. This security level is associated with its unique Autotask PSA license.
There is no per-seat charge for resources that use the API User security level and license, and no limit to the number of resources that can be assigned the security level.
Assign an API User security level
When creating a new API User, you need to make sure that you assign them the correct security level.
Select your API-only security level on the Security page.
You can exempt an API User from the need to reset passwords by choosing the security level setting labeled Not required to change password (password does not expire). When this setting is selected, the API-only user's password will not expire, and Autotask PSA will not prompt the user to change their password.
Only the API User security level can receive an exemption from the password expiration requirement. This security setting is disabled for all other security levels.
Once you assign a user an API User security level, you can only assign them API security levels. Similarly, once you assign a user a non-API User security level, you can then only assign them non-API security levels.
- Autotask PSA: Why can't I change the Tracking Identifier associated with my API User?
- Autotask PSA: Why Isn't My Integration Vendor Available For API Tracking Identifier Selection?
- Getting started with the API (Autotask PSA Online Help)
- How the API User (API-only) security level works (Autotask PSA Online Help)
- The Autotask Web Services API v1.6 (Autotask PSA Online Help)
- API best practices (Autotask PSA Online Help)