This article describes the SIRIS Private cloud storage option for Datto SIRIS appliances.
- Datto SIRIS
SIRIS Private is a simple way to deploy a Datto SIRIS device as a private cloud for your customers. Ideally-suited for businesses in industries like healthcare, financial services, and government, where mixing data is often not allowed, SIRIS Private allows you to provide a self-contained BCDR solution that provides a secure and closed environment.
Creating this secure environment is as easy as deploying a SIRIS device locally and then connecting it to another SIRIS at your site, or at a secondary site, for replication and recovery. Doing so ensures that the data remains self-contained in the customer’s network while providing secondary replication and a number of available restore options.
With the flexibility to deploy in a range of configurations based on the customer scenarios and locations, MSPs can deliver the same award-winning SIRIS BCDR experience without using a third-party cloud.
How it Works
SIRIS Private requires at least two Datto SIRIS units with access to a common LAN or VLAN: a source SIRIS and a destination SIRIS.
- The source SIRIS, with which you will protect your production machine, must be on a SIRIS Private service plan.
- The destination SIRIS will act as your source SIRIS' on-site cloud server. It can be on any service plan. You can have more than one destination SIRIS on your network.
An alternate deployment model allows you to have the source and destination devices at different locations to allow for offsite replication. The Configuring an appliance for SIRIS Private replication guide contains additional networking considerations for this offsite/remote replication model
During the Protect a System process, you will select the destination SIRIS to which your production machine's backups will replicate. Each host that you add can replicate to the same destination SIRIS or to a different destination SIRIS.
- As a private cloud solution, snapshots replicated from a source SIRIS to a destination SIRIS cannot sync to the Datto Cloud.
- You can simultaneously use the destination SIRIS as a normal backup appliance and as a replication node; snapshots from non-replicated systems will sync from the appliance to the Datto Cloud, while replicated snapshots from source SIRISes will not.
- All recovery options available to traditional SIRIS backups, except for Hybrid/Cloud Virtualization, are available for snapshots replicated to a destination SIRIS.
- Cloud Agent Templates are not available for devices enrolled in SIRIS Private service plans.
- In a secondary/remote site replication model, access to virtualizations from the customer location is not possible.
- The source device and protected systems must all be on the same LAN or VLAN.
- All devices in the configuration must meet the SIRIS, ALTO, and DNAS Networking & Bandwidth Requirements.
- Both the source and target Datto devices must be configured for SIRIS Private
before any agents or systems are added to them. You will need to remove any existing agents or systems from the devices prior to setup.
To start using SIRIS Private, contact your Datto Sales Executive. Then, see our Configuring an Appliance for SIRIS Private Replication article for deployment information.