This article describes how to restore from a Rescue Agent for Datto appliances capable of running local virtualizations. The steps described assume that you have already started a Rescue Agent as described in this article.
- Datto SIRIS
In the event of a disaster recovery scenario when running off of a Rescue Agent, you will need to perform a restore once the host environment has returned to production. The Rescue Agent takes ZFS snapshots of the disk in its current state, which means that any data in memory will not flush to disk. To ensure that everything in memory is preserved in a snapshot, power off the VM from the Protect tab before taking a manual snapshot.
1. Navigate to the Restore tab, then click Manage Rescue Agent on the agent you are ready to restore.
2. Open the browser VNC session and perform a soft shutdown of the VM (From Windows: Start Menu > Shutdown).
3. Wait for the VM to shut down completely. The VM Status section will look like this:
4. Navigate to the Protect Tab and click the Start A Snapshot button for the Rescue Agent
5. The snapshot time will update to the current date/time
6. Navigate to the Restore Tab and perform the Recovery Type needed. See this section
7. By default, the most recent snapshot is selected from within Choose a Recovery Point which will reflect the latest snapshot you manually took from the Protect Tab
Once the system has been fully restored, you will need to re-enable backups from the original chain, assuming they have been paused.
1. Navigate to the Protect Tab and click RE-ENABLE AGENT for the agent associated with the Rescue Agent:
2. Queue up a differential merge, then start a new backup
Archiving and Removing the Rescue Agent
1. Once a backup has completed, you can navigate back to the Restore Tab > Manage Rescue Agent and Archive the Rescue Agent
2. To remove the Rescue Agent, navigate to the Protect Tab and click the option Remove Rescue Agent
3. You will need to enter the phrase to verify that you want to remove the data permanently. Enter this phrase exactly as specified to enable the DELETE button