This article describes fiber optic transceiver selection for Datto Networking Managed Switches.
- Datto Switches
When using fiber connections in a Datto network, it is important to use the correct fiber transceiver/cable combinations.
Types of fiber optic cable
There are two basic types of fiber optic cable:
- Multi-Mode Fiber (MMF): This is best for short runs, usually 550 meters or less.
- Single-Mode Fiber (SMF): This is best for longer runs.
The cable type you use must match with a corresponding transceiver.
Datto Networking transceiver options
- DNW-SFP-1 GB-SX (Multi-Mode, 1 GB speed)
- DNW-SFP-10 GB-SR (Multi-Mode, 10 GB speed)
- DNW-SFP-1 GB-LX (Single-Mode, 1 GB speed)
- DNW-SFP-10 GB-LR (Multi-Mode, 10 GB speed)
Determining the cable type
The easiest way to tell the cable type is by the color of the wire.
- Orange: MMF-1 GB (OM1 or OM2)
- Aqua: MMF-10 GB (OM3 or OM4)
- Lime green: MMF-40 GB (OM5)
- Yellow: SMF-speed varies (OS1 or OS2)
Determining the speed of an SMF cable
On a Single-Mode Fiber cable, you can identify the speed by connector type:
- SC or ST: Usually 1 GB or slower
- LC: Usually 1 GB or faster (Datto transceivers accept an LC connection)
For the most accurate identification, check the connector on the other side of the run.
- The Difference Between OM1, OM2, OM3, and OM4 Multimode Fibers (external link)
- Single-Mode Fiber: How Much Do You Know? (external link)