This article compares hardware and virtualization performance of SIRIS 3 and SIRIS 4 Professional devices.
- Datto SIRIS 3 Professional
- Datto SIRIS 4 Professional
|SIRIS 3 Professional||SIRIS 4 Professional||Improvements in SIRIS 4|
|CPU||Intel Broadwell||Intel Skylake||
40% higher CPU performance
Up to 128 GB DIMM total
Up to 256 GB DIMM total
|ZFS SLOG||None||Intel Optane NVMe||
2x faster VM boot
Improved VM IOPS
|NIC||2x 10 Gbe||2x 10 Gbe||Same|
|Hard Drive||Up to 6 TB HDD||Up to 12 TB HDD||
Larger capacity drive
|Acoustic & Thermal||Loud||Quiet||
Improved Operational experience
Virtualization boot time test
This test compares how fast you can recover in the event of a disaster.
- 10 Agents (Windows 7 server pack, new install, all identical).
- SIRIS 3 Professional (S3P): S3P6, 2x 6 TB HDD, 64 GB memory.
- SIRIS 4 Professional (S4P): S4P6, 2x 6 TB HDD, 64 GB memory.
- Virtual machines for the agents were started one by one, and boot time was measured.
- S4P bootup time is approximately 2x faster than S3P
|VM bootup time in minutes (cumulative)|
|Number of VMs||SIRIS 3 Professional||SIRIS 4 Professional|
IOPS virtualization performance test
This test measures input and output per second (IOPS) within a virtual machine running on the Datto device.
- 1 Agent (Windows 2012 R2, new install, with diskspd installed).
- Siris 3 Professional (S3P): S3P6, 2x 6 TB HDD, 64 GB memory installed.
- Siris 4 Professional (S4P): S4P6, 2x 6 TB HDD, 64 GB memory installed.
- Test tool: diskspd. Storage performance tool written by Microsoft. Refer to https://github.com/microsoft/diskspd (external link) for details.
- Virtual machines for each agent were started and boot time was measured.
- Test 1-2 (write test): S4P gains a 5-14x improvement over S3E because SLOG offloads high-latency synchronous write off the pool drive, which reduces data I/O latency and thereby improves VM performance significantly.
- Test 3-4 (read test): S4P shows 20-30% improvement over S3P. Minimal read improvement as slog is a write buffer and doesn’t help reading speed directly. Slog does, however, help read performance as Test 5 results show.
- Test 5: With a mixed workload of 30% write and 70% read, similar to a database workload, the S4P is 8x times faster.
|IOPS (diskspd) Test results|
|Test||S3P IOPS||S4P IOPS||Percent improvement|
(Video streaming/application server)
|5||Random 70% read, 30% write
(Database query/file server/email)