This article describes the Datto Networking App's Site Survey option.
- Datto Networking App
The Site Survey tool is a reference to gauge network congestion caused by surrounding access points broadcasting on the same channel. A signal strength of 70% or higher could indicate a source of interference. If you see slow wireless speeds:
- Change the channel over which the radio is broadcasting (Datto suggests channels 1,6, and 11).
- Use the Auto setting to have the access point choose the best channel to use.
The site survey may also reveal rogue access points, which are unauthorized access points deployed within your local network. Use this tool to identify and remove these unknown or potentially malicious access points.
Running a scan
In the Datto Networking App, click Site Survey, then click the Scan Now button. The site survey scan takes up to 30 seconds, during which any SSIDs on the access point will not be available.
Reading the scan results
Click any device in the scan to expand it and view the following details:
- Signal: Radio signal strength represented as a percentage
- Channel: Which 2.4/5GHz center channel the radio is broadcasting
- SSID: The SSID name the radio is broadcasting
- BSSID: MAC address of the broadcasting wireless interface
- Mode: The 802.11 standard the radio is using (b/g/n/ac)
- Encryption: Which WiFi security standard the radio is using
- Vendor: Uses the Organizationally Unique Identifier (OUI) of the BSSID to look up the radio's manufacturer
- Strongest Signal Seen By: Which Datto Access Point can best receive this signal
- Last Scan: Timestamp of when the data was collected